Volunteering at Yee Hong P. K. Kwok Hospice
Volunteering in a Hospice is one of the most fulfilling things you would ever do in your life!
We have various opportunities for volunteers from diverse communities in our newly built, state of the art, residential hospice in Scarborough. If you wish to have a rewarding experience, we have volunteer vacancies in the following areas:
- Residential care volunteer
- Kitchen volunteers – prepare light meals and snacks
- Gardening and indoor plant/flowers
- Complementary therapy to include light Hand Massage, Therapeutic Touch, Reiki, etc. Volunteers must be certified in the specific area of therapy.
- Administrative volunteer/newsletter/special events/fund raising
- Community visiting volunteer – companionship only. No personal care.
- Tele-check volunteer – provide support and companionship virtually to patients and caregivers
- Knitting and sewing – create comfort bears, crochet or knit lap blankets, slippers and quilts.
Whatever your passion is, we can help you to express it and fulfill your need through our Volunteer program at the Hospice. Our volunteers are a critical part of our Hospice operations. The generous time and knowledge of our volunteers make it possible to offer our programs at no cost. All volunteers accepted in the program receive comprehensive training in palliative care provided through the Yee Hong Hospice.
Some of the benefits of becoming a Residential care volunteer include:
- Share the “end of life journey” with our residents and their families in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- Cultivate compassion, caring and communication
- Be part of our interdisciplinary team
- Obtain a better understanding of life, death and bereavement
Some of the benefits of becoming an administrative/special events volunteer include:
- Support fundraising and community engagement initiatives
- Develop event planning and management skills
- Gain valuable communications and public relations skills
- Point-of-care work experience
How to become a Hospice Volunteer
4 easy steps to become a volunteer
STEP 1 – Complete an application form
STEP 2 – Attend an Info session
STEP 3 – Volunteer Screening
STEP 4 – Training and Placement
For more information and to express your interest please contact our Executive Director, Nazira Jaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org