Current COVID-19 cases at Yee Hong
Staff and family members receive detailed information by email when case counts change at their LTC Centre.
Yee Hong responds to COVID-19
Last updated: Sep 20, 2021, 3:25pm
Call the Yee Hong COVID-19 Vaccine Support Hotline 416-412-4570 to get more information on COVID vaccinations. We are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, if you need help to schedule a vaccine appointment in Toronto, Peel or York Regions.
Current as of:
Programs and services listed below are running as normal:
- Long term care for residents of Yee Hong Centre
- Scheduled visits for family (indoor and outdoor)
- Other Yee Hong facilities
- Yee Hong P. K. Kwok Hospice
- Yee Hong Garden Terrace
- Chinese Evergreen Manor
- Community Services
- COVID-19 Vaccine Support Hotline
- Active Seniors Program (online, limited)
- Care-Learning online information and resources
- Caregiver Education & Support Services (online support groups and education webinars)
- Community Services Online
- Day and congregate dining programs (limited in-person attendance or online)
- Assisted Living and Home Support Services
- North Toronto COVID-19 Community Response Team
- Paid home care services
- Training and Learning Centre – PSW program (online)
- Volunteer Services (limited in-person and Hot meals & grocery support services, virtual support via online or comfort phone calls)
- Yee Hong Meals on Wheels Services
Current as of:
Programs and services listed below are cancelled/suspended until further notice:
- Volunteer Services (in-person services suspended at LTC centres)
- Transportation services
- Caregiver Education & Resource Centre (in-person)
- Active senior programs (in-person)
September 20, 2021 – Mandatory vaccination policy for Yee Hong workplaces
Yee Hong has a very high vaccination rate however, a small percentage of individuals at Yee Hong remain unvaccinated. After extensive communication with staff, physicians, unions, Resident and Family Councils and conversations with seniors sector partners, we have decided to adopt a Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
By October 30th 2021, employees without a valid medical exemption or approved human rights accommodation request, must be fully vaccinated and submit proof to work at Yee Hong. The same requirement will apply to student learners and volunteers who work in one of our Centres. Employees declining to be vaccinated without an approved exemption will be placed on unpaid leave. A volunteer or student who declines without an approved exemption will terminate their assignment. In the coming weeks, we will continue to support the remaining members of Yee Hong with this process.
We have carefully considered the evolving pandemic, best practice public health measures and impact on everyone before making this decision. Effective vaccines are changing the course of the global pandemic and we believe that Yee Hong’s mandatory vaccination is a reasonable and necessary precaution to protect the health and safety of everyone.
Thank you for your cooperation and please continue to stay safe.
August 12, 2021 – Positive test for COVID-19
Almost all residents and staff on the affected floor and at the Finch centre are fully vaccinated. We have adopted comprehensive infection control measures out of an abundance of caution and in cooperation with our partners at Toronto Public Health. As concluded in consultation with Toronto Public Health, this positive test is not entirely a surprise and is not expected to cause infection in others.
July 26, 2021 – COVID testing for fully vaccinated people in LTC
Starting Tuesday, July 27, you may bring proof of vaccination to the COVID screening desk. After you complete the screening questionnaire and temperature check, you will proceed past the testing station to enter the building. Anyone without proof of vaccination will be required to complete a rapid test before entering a Yee Hong Centre. For all indoor visits, a partially immunized or unimmunized visitor (2 years or older) must undergo rapid COVID-19 testing on arrival, which is valid for 72 hours.
If you have been waiting to book a first or second COVID shot, now is the time. Call Yee Hong’s Vaccine Support Hotline at 416-412-4570 to answer your questions, for help with vaccine registration, or for more information about COVID vaccines in Canada.
July 15, 2021 – Access and testing at Yee Hong Centres
Yee Hong is reviewing Ontario’s new guidelines. Drop-in visits are already permitted indoors with our residents, and visits outdoors or by Video Chat can be booked on our website. Other measures will be introduced in phases at all Yee Hong Centres. Watch for updates from Yee Hong as we implement the new rules in July.
July 12, 2021 – Visiting at Yee Hong Centres
- Residents can have outdoor visits of up to 10 people at a time. Online registration is still required at least one week prior to an outdoor visit.
- Indoor visits with a resident are available 7 days a week without an appointment. Arrive at the front entrance of a Yee Hong Centre between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm to complete our screening process and a rapid test for COVID antigens.
- Two general visitors and two designated caregivers may visit together at any one time with a resident indoors.
- A hairdresser or other personal care provider can serve a Yee Hong resident by entering the building as a general visitor.
- An unlimited number of caregivers may be designated for each resident. The process to designate someone a resident’s caregiver has not changed.
The government makes frequent changes to pandemic limits and access to LTC buildings. We adjust our practices to comply in each of our Centres as quickly as we are able. Follow the link to review our visitor information package.
Vaccination is our best defence against the virus’ worst effects. We encourage everyone entering a Yee Hong Centre to get vaccinated for their own protection and ours.
June 21, 2021 – UPDATED: Scheduled visiting at Yee Hong Centres
- Book an appointment on the website
- When it’s time for your scheduled visit, go to the screening station. The screener will confirm you don’t have any COVID-19 symptoms, exposure, or any travel history in the last 14 days.
- Bring your own mask or face covering to wear during your outdoor visit. Given the current variants of concern, we recommend a good quality mask.
- Indoor visitors will be provided an appropriate surgical mask for their visit.
- Keep a safe distance. Residents and their loved ones won’t share food or exchange packages during an outdoor visit.
- Follow best infection prevention and control practices such as proper hand hygiene.
Outdoor visits began several weeks ago for a maximum of two guests at one time. Follow the link to review our visitor information package. A maximum of one guest may visit in the resident’s room if your loved one has a mobility limitation or health condition limiting an outdoor visit. If you’ve been waiting to sit with a loved one at Yee Hong, book your visit online. Please come back to our Centres and reconnect.
May 21, 2021 – Essential caregivers in LTC are eligible for second doses of vaccine sooner
If you are a designated essential caregiver for a Yee Hong resident, and unable to schedule a vaccination appointment (1st or 2nd dose), please contact your long-term care home to learn more about scheduling those appointments.
May 11, 2021 – Flowers to LTC Residents for Mother's Day
May 5, 2021 – Two Mississauga Centre employees test positive for COVID-19
Another employee who does not have contact with our residents also notified us of a positive COVID test administered outside Yee Hong, for a total of two positive tests among Mississauga Centre staff. After consulting with Peel Public Health, both employees are quarantined at home and no additional precautions are required.
Connecting Family with Residents
Video chat instructions
Care Package Drop-off
- Drop-off service is available Mon-Fri 10:00am-2:00pm
- DO include: clothing, reading, gifts, photos and mementos
- DO NOT include: food, drinks or valuables
- Items will be cleaned and disinfected by Yee Hong staff before delivery. Yee Hong is NOT responsible for any damage that occurs due to cleaning and disinfecting.
- Place items in clear packaging so contents can be easily identified
- Add label with following information:
- Resident’s name
- Resident’s room number
- List of contents
- Your contact information
- Drop-off date
- Enter front door and drop off your package with staff at the screening desk
- For contact tracing purposes, all absences are scheduled by completing the online request form.
- All residents will be screened before departure and upon return from their absence.
- We will seek consent to test the resident upon return from their absence.
- We will follow our current protocol and isolate the resident upon return from their absence, regardless of the duration of the absence, for 14 days.
- We will follow our current protocols which is aligned with the Public Health COVID-19 Testing Guidance and if any resident exhibits any typical or atypical symptoms they must be isolated and tested for COVID-19 in accordance with Directive #3.
- Download and read Yee Hong’s visitor and absence protocols
- Complete the Resident Absence Request Form online for an outing with a resident
Please note that no visitation will be allowed when an outbreak is declared in a home. A home on outbreak will follow outbreak protocol and visits and outings are closely monitored and allowed only when deemed as essential visitors.